Show the man in your life that you care and give him some olive oil. Real men use olive oil. Not only can he stay healthy by drizzling this mono-unsaturated fat on his food, but he can also use it for a close shave that will keep his skin smooth and soft! That’s right, along with all of its other beauty tricks, olive oil can also be used to soften a man’s beard for shaving. Best of all, olive oil is much better than commercially available creams.
Applied just like a regular shaving cream, olive oil can give your man an amazingly close and smooth shave. But don’t just take it from me. Here are some shaving tips from professional stylist Michael Bertoldo of Los Gatos, California, who teaches shaving classes for men who want the shaved-head look. He told me, “I always recommend using extra virgin olive oil to get a clean shave of the head, beard, legs or wherever.”
Professional Shaving Instructions
- Make sure you start with a clean surface. Use favorite olive oil soap. (Note: If you are preparing to shave your head or if you have a beard, first clip off as much hair as you can using a professional groomer or clippers.)
- Heat the area to be shaved with a damp, hot towel; remove.
- Lather the area with olive oil and let it sit for a few minutes.
- You can use a disposable razor or a wet/dry electric razor*.
- Carefully shave along the grain of the hair; keep moistening the area with water using a wet washcloth.
- After shaving with the grain of the hair, you may wish to reapply the olive oil and shave the area in the opposite direction.
- It’s a good idea to take a shower after shaving, to wash off any nicks and excess oil.
- After washing or showering, pat the shaved area dry with a clean towel.
- Apply your favorite after-shave toner or try an olive oil balm.
“For that extra special day (or evening) when you want the smoothest and closest shave possible”, says Michael, “let your beard or head hair grow for two or three days and then follow the professional shaving instructions.”
*Michael’s professional recommendation: Use a disposable razor only once, and if you use a wet/dry electric shaver, make sure to always follow the cleaning instructions to inhibit the growth of bacteria.
Comments are closed.